When it comes to stainless steel products for your commercial kitchen, there’s no beating the quality of custom metal fabrication. Stainless steel isn’t the only metal used in the fabrication of commercial kitchen equipment, but it is by far the most popular metal for this application. There are 57 types of stainless steel that are used across industries, and the restaurant industry alone uses approximately 200,000 tons per year on various products. While it is possible to purchase your equipment that has been constructed through deep drawing, custom fabrication is a much more efficient and cost effective method to outfit your commercial kitchen with the highest quality equipment possible.
Stainless steel vs other metals
The most popular metal used in commercial kitchens is 300 series stainless steel. It is possible to outfit your kitchen with other metals such as brass, copper, steel or aluminum. However, these metals can’t match stainless steel when it comes to the most important parts of choosing your kitchen equipment:
- Rust and stain resistant - Commercial kitchen equipment is typically made with 304 or 316 stainless steel because it has superior rust prevention and resistance to stains.
- Durable - Because stainless steel is a strong iron alloy, it can withstand heavy wear and tear over many years. Its ability to resist dents and dings makes stainless steel not only an effective material in the moment, it also continues to pay off as a durable and cost effective material long term.
- Easy cleanup - Stainless steel is incredibly easy to care for. With regular rinsing and a weekly cleaning with an abrasive cleaner or baking soda and water, your custom metal will be gleaming for years to come. If you’re looking for an extra sparkle, stainless steel is easily polished with dry flour and a soft cloth.
What is custom metal fabrication?
Custom metal fabrication is the process of cutting materials specifically to the shape of the product being created for a specific customer as opposed to attempting to maintain a standardized size or look. The process of custom metal fabrication is as follows:
- Cutting - Using many different tools such as lasers, saws, punches, notches, and more, the metal is first cut to the pieces’ specifications. The tool used to cut the metal is determined by the complexity of the cut needed. For instance, a beam can be cut through a conveyor but more complex cuts like circles or curves would be cut with lasers.
- Forming - Once the metal is cut, the pieces are formed into their needed shapes. This process is usually achieved through press baking and rolling.
- Assembling - Now that the metal pieces are formed, they are assembled into the final product. Typically, this joining process is executed through welding.
Advantages of custom stainless steel fabrication
When a piece is created custom, you are receiving a product that has been built specifically for your space and needs. The look of the product will stand out, and it will be perfectly functional for your space. We’ve analyzed the differences between a custom fabricated sink and a sink built through deep drawn construction and found:
- True gauge integrity - Because deep drawn construction depends on stretching the metal to conform to the shape of the die, gauge size can vary throughout the piece. With custom fabrication, no metal is stretched so the gauge is guaranteed.
- Size flexibility - Each component of a custom fabricated piece is formed and then welded together so sizing can be customized specific to your needs. With deep drawn construction, the size of the bowl depends on the die available and usually only allows for 2-3 sizing options.
- Efficient space usage - Needing a welded flange and space for mounting gussets takes up valuable space, but when the piece is custom fabricated there is no need for extra space because the piece itself is built to your requirements.
And more! Read our comparison of custom fabrication vs deep drawn construction at our website for more benefits of customized stainless steel.
Custom stainless steel fabrication with us
At Aero Manufacturing, we pride ourselves our expert custom stainless steel fabrication. Our steel professionals combine artistic heart with technical skill to create beautiful and functional pieces that would be perfect for your commercial space. If you are ready to get the ball rolling on custom stainless steel pieces designed and built with precision, contact us today.